- Sorting is the first step to organization
- How to know what to keep and what to toss is the second step
- Every thing needs a home
- Use appropriate containers (open or hidden) for different items
- Stop creating excuses for your “stuff”
- Choose your tools wisely
- Create a maintenance plan
There is a plethora of ways to “organize your stuff”. This is because everyone has their own systems which guide them to choose one way or the other. Here are some tips for our industry leaders that I’ve found to be most useful with my clients:
… while some may be obvious, others may not be. Here are some to what to watch out for:
When you get down to it, the idea of storage is pretty simple; your things + a place to put them and that’s pretty much it. We wanted to stretch that formula a bit in the Idea’s lab to show how storage can enhance your rooms style as well as be super functional, whatever your personality.
1. STORAGE IS AN AMAZING WAY to put your personality on display too. We especially like using open storage, like this BILLY bookcase, to make a gallery using big pictures, books, and personal objects. If you don’t want everything on show you can always use baskets on the shelves too.
2. BUT MAYBE THE FUNNEST WAY to personalize storage is by turning it into an artwork itself. Our stylist, Therese, went to town on these IVAR cabinets to make this mural that’s also functional storage too. The IVAR has an untreated surface so it’s easy to paint on, but what you really need is just a flat surface to work with.
Photographer: Tomas Ekdahl
Interior designer: Therese Ericsson
Digital designer: Cecilia Englund
Copywriter: James Rynd